Saturday, April 21, 2007

i'm out

well, there is an announcement that i have had to wait to make on here...
i am out to my boss, so now it can be said:

I have a new job!!!
Of course, it starts next year, but I am grateful to be able to say that I found a position at the local private school and I am really excited.


I have been working in a public school and have had an awaking this year. It has been continually challenging, working with some very low income families and very needy kids- behaviorally, emotionally, and academically. So, there is a lot to deal with daily. I have grown tremendously because of it, but the stress has been difficult and the feedback has been almost non-existent (which is hard for someone like me who really needs it on occasion). I haven't been impressed with the tenor of the school community... and its been hard to not feel supported.

Anyway, all that has led me to a job search and being hired at the local private school. I feel a bit like I am taking the "easy way out", but I am looking out for myself in a lot of ways. The school looks great. they are well-established and the salary is good (which is unique for private schools). They were impressed with me in my first interview (and told me so) and then brought me back for a full day interview. I interviewed with most people in the building for 20 minutes at a time (each grade level, specialist teachers, etc.). I taught a sample lesson that they observed for the classroom that would be mine. They spoke with the director at my last job and by the end of the day I was exhausted.

They sat me down and asked me my feelings on the school and the teacher who would be my grade level partner. Then the headmaster immediately said "Well, I know right now I want to hire you." "This is only once of two times in my career that I have ever offered someone the job on the spot but we are very impressed with you. After observing your lesson and speaking with M (my old boss) we truly feel that you would be a great fit here. We have interviewed a lot of people for this position and they were all qualified, but we feel that you truly have a GIFT that we want you to use here."

Now, let me tell you that this was the highest praise I have received in my professional career and truly felt redeemed after feeling so challenged in this past year. So I feel like it will be a great move. Its a second grade position and I will have a half day aid and 17 students... I am also looking forward to the 5 mile commute rather than the 25 mile one that I currently drive everyday. With all this in place, I am still working hard where I am, but with the hope of better things to come.

7 comments:

Carissa Rodrigue said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. :)

Kathleen said...

the fact that they had every staff member interview you shows that they care about the people that work there. they want to make sure that everyone is a good "fit".
right there, shows that you are going to love it!
good for you.

congratulations, girlie!

*the mama said...

congrats, that is great for you!

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful!!!! congratulations. It's so nice to get such wonderful praise and feedback. I hope you do something nice to celebrate.

Mrs. Spencer said...

how exciting for you! congrats my dear, you deserve it!

i don't think we are ever wrong when we know that we could fit better somewhere else. i wish you much luck on your new journey, even if it doesn't start until next year. :)

big love,
nicole

nina beana said...

what an amazing story! so glad that you're making this move...it sounds like it's going to be really healthy for you. i love this picture, too! i picture you jumping up and down with excitement.

Blondie said...

Wow! I am so excited (and a little jealous) about your new job. Congratulations hun. You deserve it!

I can totally empathise with you about public schools... my school sounds as if it is on the same par as where you are at now... but I still love my school (and the kids) - it has taught me so much about being a teacher, that looking for another job at a private school scares me -- for now. I know the time will come when I want to work closer to home at a 'better' school -- so for now, I will live vicariously through you. :) Well done to you!