Friday, July 20, 2007

from a former student

I had an e-mail today, from a parent of a boy that I used to teach. Back in my dream days of teaching at a liberal, independent school, where I could teach and learn and be creative and develop meaningful relationships. Where these things were valued...

The e-mail read as follows:

Last night, well past his bed time...he was tossing and turning and restless...I was still and quiet next to him trying to will him into stillness... all of a sudden he says... " I miss Emily." I was stunned, we haven't spoken of you in months... I said " Oh yeah? what do you miss?" He replied, " I miss her teaching." I said " yeah, she is a great teacher." He said," yeah." And then he was quiet and he went to sleep.


It brought tears to my eyes.
I miss my kids.

No comments: