Thursday, December 06, 2007

first snow

It came down yesterday
and the kids were beyond excitement.
Catching snowflakes in their mouths,
scrounging snow off of benches to make snowballs.
Their energy level was off the walls,
with snowflakes melting in their hair,
and all of us traipsing back inside, wet and tired.

Last night at home,
there was a hush.
The snow still fell lightly
the tea kettle whistled
the iron steamed
the incense burned.

This morning, there is only a dusting, ice, and a two hour delay.
I am sipping my coffee
feeling rejuvenated.
It was a day when I woke up before the alarm went off anyway.
I made my phone tree calls,
greeted with excitement and negativity,
and was reminded once again, that i wish i had a waffle maker.

Now I brace myself for another day,
beyond excitement.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

even though it didn't matter to me, i still checked the school cancellations to see if baltimore city schools were closed.
i still get that rush when i see the flakes fall!

mmmmmm waffles. perfect for snowy days.

happy holidays!