Sunday, September 18, 2005

Day Thirty-One

Just sitting down with my morning coffee, getting ready for a day of planning and preparation for the week ahead. Next to Monday, Sunday is the worst day of the week... waiting, anticipating, anxious about the week ahead. I hope soon that I will hit my stride with this class and we will be off and running... without so much of this worry.

Todd and I went kayaking yesterday. Up to the Deerfield River in Charlemont. I hitched a shuttle ride for the first time, a job that has always scared me a little... but the only people you ever ride with are other boaters, so there is really no reason to be nervous. Then we had a good time, pushing our limits, doing lots of rolls, in and out of current... I even practiced my "off side"... rolling on the side that I am not accustomed to, and that felt great to be successful. I had only one missed roll at the end, after successfully making it through Zoar Gap (the largest rapid on this section of river)... and it is because I was trying to do a pass the the paddle trick. Fortunately, Todd was there and I used him to "T-rescue" rather than having to get out of my boat and swim. For any of you that don't understand the contents of this paragraph, I will have to explain kayaking fun to you sometime. It really is fun for me now. I am working on changing my attitude about what makes a fun day. I used to measure its by success having no swims... Now I am working to remind myself that its is a successful day when it is a fun day on the river... and sometimes that might involve a little swim that bruises up your shins.

After watching Napolean Dynamite last night, I had a dream that I was watching a couple meet for the first time at a bus stop. The girl was now a woman, but she was a girl that I mentored in college. I was a big sister, in a way. She was a teenager that was running away from her residential program, performing sexual favors to get rides and drugs. In my dream, she looked good... Not quite a LaFawnDuh, but good... and that made me happy.

I also spent the night, about two hours or so, revamping Todd's resume to get it ready to apply for a caretaker position that we found on line. The hunt is beginning for a new place... but slowly and with patience so that we can find the right place... We figure if we start looking now, hopefully in three years, we might find a place to settle for a few more years. Now, I love the guy... after writing his resume, I want to hire him. Listen to this:

Profile:
Responsible and mature property manager, skilled and experienced in all aspects if on-site caretaking including landscaping, snow removal, painting. plumbing maintenance, and basic carpentry.
Efficient, diligent, flexible, professional, and productive in all aspects of a job.

It's just dripping, isn't it?

No comments: