I should have known that I wanted to be a school teacher when I watched and enjoyed Reading Rainbow as an adult.
Now, maybe I am not so sure.
I had my first official review today and had two "marginal" categories. One, instructional time used wisely (i.e. all I do is redirest, redirect, redirect) and one for behavior management, rules, and routines.
I am stuggling. I admit it.
Its frustrating because I always felt pretty good at these things before. Now, with a new set if expectations, new set of curriculum that is not at all flexible, and a more challenging group... all of the fun has been zapped right out of me.

I am tired.
I am sick (again).
I am tired of being tired and sick.
The worst part is that the only one who can make this work is me... and no one can tell me how to do it.
I take it day by day... and have generally felt it getting better... I just need to stick with it, stay consistent, and keep on trucking.
Ugh.
2 comments:
There will be times when you feel as if you are getting nowhere and then a miracle will happen. The kids will actually do as you have asked and they can answer your questions with enthusiasm. You need to teach them how to behave. Have faith in yourself. Be firm and consistent.
Try this one: Once you give an instruction, (ie. "Everyone sit down on the carpet quietly") praise and acknowledge the positive behaviours ("Sam is sitting quietly." "Katie is sitting down quietly".) This is a strategy that works for me. When the kids realise that they get attention for doing well and behaving,(rather than for being naughty) it trains them to look for positive behaviours as a way of getting your attention.
You are still learning. Don't beat yourself up. This is your time to be the best you can be.
Good luck. I am with you all the way.
i am just now finding your blog again! i had lost you and was so sad...
i know that this is late...and you probably already know this...but keep your chin up and stay strong to what is in your heart.
and with each year, you will feel even stronger about your "style".
the tiny ones are hard to teach. they take everything out of you! i teach next door to the first grade classroom and they exhaust me just from the brief contact i have with them in the hallway! lol
i applaud you.
rock out with your awesome self!
Post a Comment